Source: Foureyes

When I tell people that I’m calling from Foureyes and that we make sales software for the powersports and automotive industries, I frequently hear, “My sales team doesn’t use the software I’ve already bought for them.” 

I love this response, because Foureyes improves sales teams’ performance without requiring their engagement. 

Given that we’re a-typical, it’s worth unpacking what you should consider when you are trying to avoid sales tool overload. Here are my seven best recommendations (and I unpack them in more detail below):

  1. Ensure that the software complements your existing process 
  2. Look for a system that integrates with your primary business systems
  3. Avoid a daily dashboard
  4. Prioritize technology that improves your existing process 
  5. Be wary of technology that pretends to be a salesperson
  6. Prioritize tools that provide a personalized experience 
  7. Make time to test products (especially free ones)

1. Ensure that the software complements your existing process

When you get new software, you want to see the value quickly. The two biggest risks to that are implementation that takes forever and change management. The worst-case scenario is that you spend months and months implementing and configuring only to realize that the software requires changing your process. Look for a tool that allows you to easily configure settings to match your existing process so that you don’t have to spend months trying to reorient your sales team to another new process.

2. Look for a system that integrates with your primary business systems

For a sales tool to be useful, it needs to either integrate with your CRM or it needs to be a CRM. Bonus points if it integrates with other key business systems, like your website, phones, and analytics platforms. 

3. Avoid a daily dashboard

By some estimates, sales reps spend only 36.6% of their time on revenue-generating activities. As a salesperson and sales manager, I can almost guarantee that your sales team isn’t spending the other 63.4% of their time playing games on their phones. They’re in dashboards.

If you want to keep your teams interacting with customers and in the CRM, look for systems that use CRM integrations, text and email alerts, or automated systems that require upfront setup to then run independently. 

4. Prioritize technology that improves your existing process

Lifts in sales performance typically come from incremental improvements or small tweaks to key points in your sales process rather than a massive change. Look at every step in your pipeline and if there’s a tool that makes one of those steps better, it’s worth a closer look. For example, let’s say step 1 is when a lead is generated. What if you could buy something that ensured 100% of your generated leads were logged to your CRM? Or if there was a tool that would automatically email each lead with messages tailored to their preferences? You would probably drive more sales. 

5. Be wary of technology that pretends to be a salesperson

Yes, I did just recommend looking for technology that helps with your process. But I want to stress that that doesn't mean, “Buy a thing that pretends to be a person.” You have salespeople today because buyers need more help than what they can get from your website. Don’t try to subcontract that out to a machine. People can tell, and your leads will get frustrated. Find technology that lets people be people and machines be machines.

6. Prioritize tools that provide a personalized experience

Your leads today expect a personalized experience. They expect you to remember what they are interested in and provide them with relevant information around those interests. Managing this degree of personalization through your sales team is incredibly time-consuming and expensive. Look for companies that leverage your first-party intent data to create personalized experiences for you.

7. Test products (especially free ones)

When you want to improve your results, you have to change what you are doing. Testing software-- especially free software-- is a low-risk, high-reward opportunity that is worth your time. And really, what kind of salesperson would I be if I failed to mention that I have amazing sales software that doesn’t require anything from your sales team, and motorcycle and auto dealers can try it free for 60 days. There are no strings attached and it won’t auto-renew. Let’s talk and in 10 minutes you’ll see exactly why you want to try it.